Home About Us Governance Contact  Membership Donate Volunteer Books - Items

Links

History of the town of Antrim, New Hampshire By W.R. Cochrane

N.H. Historical Society



Town of Antrim

Festival of Trees

Contact Us

Contact

Antrim Historical Society    P.O. Box 172  Antrim, New Hampshire   03440


© 2013-2014 All Rights Reserved

ANTRIM

Historical


Society

James A. Tuttle Library

Follow us on Facebook

The Duncan House    


Back

In 1850, George C. Duncan (1818-1855) built this house on Main Street and lived there with his wife Mary Whiton Duncan (1819-1857). The house was subsequently occupied by Levi Woodbury (1820-1865) and Anna Baldwin Woodbury.  Cochrane’s History of Antrim, published in 1880, states:  “His [Levi Woodbury] widow now occupies the fine residence at the South Village”. Tibbals’ Genealogical Records, Antrim New Hampshire, 1877- 1940 says of Levi Woodbury:  “[He] was in the trade at the old stand; did much to improve the village; d. much lamented Aug. 10, 1865; was a popular man, always ready to aid in every good work; m. May 21, 1856 Anna Maria, daughter of Samuel Burge and Betsey G. (Bell) Baldwin of Bennington, who survived him.  No children.”

After the death of Anna Woodbury in 1891, the house was purchased by Abram Ramsay (1835-1916) and Helen Pool Ramsay. Tibbals notes that Abram Alexander Ramsay was “born in Greenfield  Aug. 14, 1835.  He came to Antrim in April 1852 to live with Widow Alice Woodbury, working on the farm in summer and attending school in winter.  He went away and remained one year, then returned in April 1854 to work in the store for L. and J. B. Woodbury, where he remained six years.  He bought the house now Harry E. Sanborn’s and also the store now the Red and White Store, and traded there until the spring of 1864, when he sold to Treadwell and Company of Boston, Mass. and moved in the fall of 1865 to Wilton, where he was engaged in trade.  He returned in 1900 to Antrim on the death of Anna B. Woodbury, and purchased her homestead, now Mrs. Anna B. Tibbetts.  He was town clerk in Antrim several years.  He died Aug. 23, 1916.  He married in Bennington Nov. 28, 1860 Helen Pool, daughter of Samuel Burge and Betsey G. (Bell) Baldwin of that town.”

The next owners were Dr. & Mrs. Guy Tibbetts, who used the house for both their home and Dr. Tibbett’s office. Tibbals notes that Dr. Tibbetts was born in Gloucester, Mass in 1888. “He graduated from Gloucester High School…and Tufts College Medical School, 1911, and serves as interne [sic] in the Boston City Hospital, the Psychopathic Hospital in Boston, the Boston State Hospital and the Cambridge Hospital.  He practiced in Bennington ten months before World War I, and was commissioned First Lieut. in the Medical Corps, US Army Jun. 8, 1917.  He was one of a thousand American doctors loaned to the British government for active service and was attached as medical officer to the First Fourth East Yorkshire Regiment.  He participated in the following battles: The Somme Defensive, Lys and Aisne, and was wounded Mar. 22, 1918.  He was taken prisoner at Craonelle, France May 27, 1918.  He was commissioned Captain Aug. 8 1918, and was invested with the Distinguished Service Cross at Buckingham Palace by King George V of Great Britain in December of the same year.  He was discharged Jan. 18, 1919, returned to Bennington and resumed his practice Feb. 1 of that year; but April 1, 1920 removed to Antrim where he had a large and successful practice.  He married in Jersey City, N.J. Feb 10, 1914 Anna Belle, daughter of John James and Alice C. (Zinck) Backman, who was born in Lunenburg, N.S. Jun. 4, 1888, a registered nurse.  No children.  He died in Antrim Jun. 2, 1939.”

The house next passed to Walter and Virginia Hill Whitney.  In 1988, the house was purchased by Lutheran Social Services of Northern New England for a girls shelter program. In 1990, the attached barn was renovated and converted into classrooms.  In 1995, the program was certified as a special education school by the State of New Hampshire.  A capital campaign was begun in 2004 to renovate the house and barn. On April 5, 2006, the Antrim Girls Shelter renovations were dedicated in a ceremony attended by citizens, clergy and officials from around New England.  The Shelter, noted Senator John Sununu in a congratulatory letter, has “truly made a difference in the lives of countless young women”.

In late 2011, it was announced that the Antrim Girls Shelter would soon close, due to a drop in referrals from the state. It was the only girls-only shelter in the state. The house is currently vacant and is on the market.